Call them energy balls, bliss balls or protein balls, either way these delicious raw snacks are pretty easy to make and are a healthy treat that you will be happy to see when you open the fridge. I love them for morning coffee or evening tea. I do buy balls and protein bars as well, but it’s not always easy to find vegan versions and I like to have a supply of my own to hand.
I have been using this recipe for over 4 years now! And while I do make some substitutions if I run out of an ingredient or two, and I like to use up excess nuts and seeds left over from other recipes and meals, the essential ingredient is definitely the dates, as they make up the basic wet base, along with the coconut oil and peanut butter. This recipe like all my recipes is vegan.
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3/4 cup ground almond
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
Optional to make them “protein” balls:
- 1 scoop vegan protein powder, caramel, chocolate or peanut flavour works well
- 2 tablespoon peanut powder
Other options and substitutions:
- Add tablespoon Maca powder
- Add Cacao nibs
- Sub other nut butter or tahini for the peanut butter
- Sub other nuts for the ground almonds (pulse separately in your blender to make them ground)
- Roll the finished balls in desiccated coconut
- Soak the dates for 30 minutes in hot water to soften them up. Drain off the water.
- Add the dates, coconut oil and peanut butter to food processor and pulse.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients and pulse again.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the mixture and using your hands roll into 9-12 balls of equal size.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container and consume within 5 days.
If you loved this, sign up with your email address to receive more recipes, curated yoga and meditation playlists, early event access, hot-off-the-press wellness articles and any important Wild Soul news direct to your inbox.